The types of teeth
The horse there are three types of teeth:
- The incisors (front teeth). The teeth of the horse are used for prehension and cutting of grass and capture food.
- Fangs. This type of teeth found in adult stallions and some mares. The canines are not involved in the chewing of food. This type of teeth located between the incisors and the molars.
- The molars (cheek teeth). These teeth horses chew their food.
If you are not able to follow your horse’s teeth, you should seek help or a more experienced breeder, or (what we recommend) to highly qualified dentist specializing in horses.
You should remember that horses, unlike human teeth grow whole life, even in old age. Special attention should be given to the teeth of the horse in cases where you are fed food from the hanging repthe or high feeders. In this case, the horse eats with his head. As in nature horses eat, head down to the ground, the feeding of raduha and high feeders is not natural. As a result, the jaws grind food differently, which leads to the formation of sharp edges and uneven abrasion of the teeth. Sharp edges you can remove with a file. Though the procedure is not pleasant, but cut and bite the gums and cheeks of the horse, we are sure, also you do not like. In addition, a horse with bad teeth will not be able to pereseyat food that will cause poor digestibility of the feed, which in turn will increase the fatigue of the horse under load.
Signs of discomfort caused by problematic teeth
With due attention to the horse very soon you will be able to identify the dangerous signs of trouble teeth. But first note the following characteristic problematic features:
- Incontinence poop in your mouth, sloppiness when eating, when food often falls out of his mouth.
- Overly slow food or, in special cases, even the possibility of full refusal of food.
- The horse shakes its head more than usual.
- Horse chewing or nibbling at the bit.
- The horse is very tense back, she stands on his hind legs or showing other signs of disobedience.
For a complete, qualitative survey of the mouth of your horse, contact your dentist-the vet. His task in this situation — carefully examine the horse’s mouth. In some cases it is possible to use special assistive device roerichites. A particularly hectic horses for the convenience of the dentist during the examination it is customary to give a sedative.
We wish you and your horse calm and healthy!
The latest materials of this section:
- Again about laminitis
- Again about the care of hooves
- Lean horse
- Prenatal condition of the Mare
- Rotaviruses in foals
I think that the article missed? Not a problem!
Look in the table of contents headings the care of the horse.
Leave here your comment!